DSwain- The New Day

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Eventful Things

So the past two days have been pretty filled. Yesterday I woke up at 5 am to head up to Massachussets. Made it up their at around 10:30 or so. In particular, I made it to WPI (Worcester Polytechnical Institute) and then toured around there. The school was enjoyable I'd say. It has ~3000 undergrads attending at the moment, which is sort of small in some perspectives. First was a campus tour, which was cool to see. A few neat things scattered around and such. I enjoyed the fact that it was kind of small, but in a fairly sized town also. It was a good blend and balance. Even though it was small, it seemed like there was plenty of people to talk to and around doing things, but I guess that's pretty normal. I never saw so many kids sitting around on laptops in one place, ever. I think it's the type of place I could fit into well, if I get a laptop at least. Anyway, so it was an enjoyable tour. Talked to some students around and stuff which was neat. I thought it was a nice blend of smart and kind of social. There were plenty of more quiet people which I'm down with also, but I like a little bit of both things.

Today was looking around at Northeastern in Boston. This is a pretty neat place also, but radically different from WPI, to say the least. It has some 15,000 undergrads going at once, it's the middle of the city basically, so on and so forth. The campus itself was nice though, even considering that it is an urban campus. It's still rather condensed and managable to some degree at least, and not so urban. There sure didn't feel like the place had 15,000 kids in it though, but maybe because it was the weekend so less was going on or people were just out and about the city. At any rate, this also seemed like a pretty nice place. The Co-op deal was pretty neat too. It's basically a plan which you go to classes for a period of time, and then go and work for another period, and alternate back and forth. It sounds like a fairly unique experience, and you can do the co-op two or three times during your time working for your degree.

So, overall, both were neat, but drastically different. If I learned much of anything, it's that this choice is going to be hard. I guess if I don't get accepted anywhere that makes the choice a lot easier, but we're gonna hope for the best. I still have other places to look at, but for now two is good. Man, they can get tiring really fast.

Anyway, I've been teaching myself C++ which has been a great deal of fun. It's a nice language to write in. The syntax can get a bit sketchy for somebody like me who isn't used to compiling languages and closing lines all the time and stuff. I'm getting used to it, though. I've pretty much worked my way through most of the basics in a couple of programs. Probably took me a total of about two hours so far, which isn't bad I suppose. I think next up is to read up on some things like arrays and such. Hm... it'll be neat to see what I end up making. Hopefully something useful out of all of this.

Alright, that's enough for today. I will end this, for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home