DSwain- The New Day

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Computing Madness

This summer has by far been one of my more involved computing summers I've had. It's probably a bad thing to be honest... not going out and doing things. Then again though, I did a lot of my computing at work, so that makes it a little different. I also managed to do a lot of other things this summer too, so I guess it wasn't entirely "wasted" away.

Anyway, so I've been into a lot of stuff these days. Basically, whatever catches my interest at a certain moment I try out. For example, today I decided to play around with VMware Server. VMware is a nice program which allows you to create shells for multiple OSes under one OS. The "host" OS is the actual installed OS on the machine, while the "Guest" OS are the shells you create and install the OSes to. It allows you preallocate disk space and memory to each Guest OS, and allows for fairly simple network setup. You can fake out the Guest OS to use DHCP and really just be binding to the Host OS IP address for use by selecting the right option. It's a real nice thing to just be able to run whatever OS you want real quickly without a huge partitioning scheme, reboots, potential data loss, and so on.

I've also been doing a fair amount of programming. Messing around with a lot of shell scripting languages like some more bash stuff and also more recently TCL/TK which has been a blast. TK has been one of the only ways I've been able to write usable/working GUI's. Maybe Tk will help me understand GUI programming concepts better for other languages, but I never felt right with GUI programming except with Tk. I've made some neat front ends such as ones for mpd/mpc, and also pacman. Kinda fun stuff to mess around with, and not completely text-based anymore. Allows for better portability also which is always a plus!

So, as you can see, I've been busy computing away. Somebody better get me out of my room quick... I just bought myself a new 19" monitor (to go along with the other one) so shit could get hairy. Apparently I might need to get my video card replaced, but honestly that's another story.

That concludes my rant. Later folks.

-dswain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home