DSwain- The New Day

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Railroad Earth: Epic

I got to go see Railroad Earth again for the second time at the Whitney Chapel in Hackettstown, NJ. For those who don't know, Railroad Earth is a bluegrass band out of Stillwater, New Jersey and by far one of my favorite bands I've ever heard. A show like this is impossible to deny the terms "immaculate" and "epic."

I sadly forgot to bring paper to write the set list down. A few of the songs played were (in no particular order):

-Storms
-Mighty River
-Dandelion Wine
-Reuben's Train
-Elko
-Old Man and The Land
-Railroad Earth (self-titled song)
-Sing For Me

Along with several others. I didn't know any of the instrumental songs, but they were all very impressive either way. I've never seen such a dynamic band. When you watch one of the members play five different instruments in one night, well, you're just impressed. I've also never seen a band where basically everyone can sing. Johnny Grub, the bassist didn't, but everyone else did, including the drummer. It was incredibly lovely to listen to. I can tell you that it can easily make any hard times lighter and easier to handle.

All I can tell you is that if you get the chance, go see Railroad Earth. Even if you think you don't like bluegrass, just keep an open mind and go check out the show. Last year I didn't think I liked bluegrass either until I saw Railroad Earth. They will change your perspective entirely.

"Sing me those hymns we sang together
In that plain little church
Where the benches are warm
How dear to my heart, how precious the moment
We stood side by side singing a song"
-Railroad Earth: Sing For Me

Later folks.

Oh by the way, thanks to John for hooking me up with this link!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyrion/sets/72157594391394289/detail/



I had taken a few photos with my phone, but obviously it's not always an easy task to get the pictures off your phone for free, and they look like crap anyway, so here's some real nice photos from the show. Awesome stuff!

2 Comments:

  • Why, those are my photos. :)

    Here's the whole setlist as I posted it on earthboard:

    November 24, 2006
    Whitney Chapel
    Hackettstown NJ

    Set 1:
    Storms
    420
    Old Man & The Land
    Elko
    Sing for Me
    Smokey's Waltz * >
    Big Sciota **
    Raindance

    Set 2:
    Cold Water
    Ragtime Annie Lee
    Mighty River
    Reuben's Train
    Black Bear
    Acadian Driftwood
    Dance Around Molly >
    Dandelion Wine

    Encores:
    Railroad Earth
    Josephine's Waltz ***

    * new John Skehan tune
    ** traditional picking tune
    *** traditional

    Thanks to Papa Phil for some of the song names. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/26/2006 12:08 AM  

  • Oh wow! Thanks a lot Scott. I'm sorry, I had no idea there was a name listed anywhere on the website or anything. I was given the link by a friend and I decided to post it. Really nice photos by the way; they're fantastic!

    That being said, thanks to Scott for the photos!

    By Blogger dswain, at 11/26/2006 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home